Saturday, June 1, 2013

Meet Aalim Moor, 2013 SJSU alumnus

Almost any talk about loyalty is grounded in the sense there is a payoff for carrying out such behavior.

But the reality is there is no guaranteed benefit as sometimes there is a reward, sometimes not.

And sometimes the bounty from such behavior proves to be a less than visible dividend.

Take Aalim Moor.

In June 2009, Moor came out of St. Mary's High in Berkeley, heralded for his play and desired by multiple college basketball programs. His team reached the NorCal championship game in both his sophomore and senior seasons and, as a senior, he earned 2009 CalHi Sports Division IV all-state team honors. During his tenure as a Panther, 113 wins were achieved with him manning the point.

Moor then chose to become a Spartan. San Jose State University (SJSU) and San Jose became his adopted home.

Four years later, he possesses a B.A. in Communication Studies with a plan to next earn a Master's degree from SJSU in counseling.

However, getting on the court proved to be a bewitching process -- solid practices resulting in pine time come the opening jump ball.

Moor participated in 14 games as a freshman, 17 outings as a sophomore and saw action in 13 contests as a junior. It was entry into 21 games during his final season in 2012-13, one in which he totaled a career-best 14 points against WAC champion Louisiana Tech, going 6-12 from the floor alongside four assists. Moor also scored nine points at New Mexico State, ending up 4-5 in his shooting. 323 minutes out of his playing time total of 475 came as a senior. Yet ponder this conundrum: in his Spartan career, he shot 44% from the floor, 42% from three-point range, with a 29/21 assist-to-turnover ratio -- marks better than most around him.

But as the team and program continued to struggle and eventually disintegrated in the 2012-13 season, Moor figuratively carried the Spartan banner, leading the cheers for his teammates and both challenging and pumping up those not playing to their potential. He was the ultimate teammate, an antidote to the me-me-me plague so evident in sports and elsewhere.

His take: "if I couldn't help out on the court, it was how can I contribute? I had friendships that I will cherish for a lifetime and we were close, like a family."


On a team also not overly successful academically, Moor performed well in this domain, graduating in a now unheard of four years. He posted a 3.4 grade point average in his last semester.

Speaking of his education, He offered, "I loved it. Overall, it was amazing. My degree will do me wonders and I was part of a great experience. I want to thank my academic advisor, Gina Archimede-Medina, for pushing me and keeping me on track."

Plus as someone who carries influence and credibility in the East Bay basketball community, he is going to continue to advise others.

"People looked out for me when I was younger and in my four years here so I want to be a big brother to those seeking advice."

Overall, the basketball component didn't work out fully as desired yet he still repped SJSU well and will continue to do so. The educational component certainly proved fruitful, what with his degree. In his time at Washington Square, Moor developed what will be lifelong relationships with fellow athletes, students and professors and he remains true to his school.

"This is my home and it always will be."

His Spartan loyalty will be lifelong. That's just who he is.

The sky is not the limit, it's only the view.

No comments:

Post a Comment