Thursday, October 10, 2013

A Garrett Ton update

It's always a pleasure to catch up with former Spartans and here's information on Garrett Ton (SJSU 2007-2012), who is both attending graduate school and working at Marshall University in Huntington, West Virginia.

Q: What was your B.A. degree in at SJSU?

GT: I graduated back in May, 2012 after my redshirt Senior season and earned a BS in Kinesiology with an emphasis Sport Management.

Q: Do you have contact with any of the former players and coaches?

GT: I still talk to a few of my former teammates. Justin Graham, Matt Ballard, Wil Carter, Moses Omolade, Aalim Moore, Kyle Thomas, and Jerry Casey are the players I talk to the most. Luckily with Facebook I am able to see what the majority of my former teammates are doing and will see how they are doing and let them know to stay in touch. The coaches I have been
in contact with are Coach George Nessman, Coach Brent Davis, Coach Tim Marrion, and Coach Talvin Hester. I have also remained in contact with the Deputy Director of Internal Operations Marie Tuite and former Athletic Director who is now at Memphis Tom Bowen.


Q: What graduate degree are you seeking?

GT: I am pursuing my Master's Degree in Sports Administration at Marshall University. I am planning to graduate in December 2014.

Q: How did you decide on Marshall for your graduate degree?

GT: I started looking for graduate assistantships as soon as I finished my last season as a Spartan. I sent out many emails to different athletic departments seeing if they had anything available. I had one interview during that process but I did not get the position. I went back home and worked so I could make some money and was the assistant coach for my high school's varsity basketball team. During the whole time I was home, I kept looking at the NCAA website. The NCAA has a job site where they post many different positions available at all the divisions in the NCAA. I kept applying for many different GA positions and graduate schools and was getting to graduate school but could not get the interview. Back in April, I got an e-mail from the Director of Events Tom Ponietowicz, who is a great guy and great person to work with and has been great to learn from since I have been here, asked for an interview. The rest is history.They offered me the position and I accepted it.

Q: How did you end up in events and operations there and what are your duties?

GT: They had three positions open in Facilities and Operations in the Athletic Department. Two with facilities and one with events and operations. They were interviewing for all three positions during the interview process. I did not know I was going to be named the GA for Events and Operations until I got to Marshall back at the end of July. My duties include scheduling ball girls for all our home Women Soccer games, scheduling the 5th years to work volleyball games, making credentials for football games, giving tours of our football facility, help schedule opposing teams practice when they come to play Marshall, be the Event Manager for Women Soccer, Women Basketball, and Softball, and other duties assigned to me by Tom Ponietowicz.

Q: Five years down the road, where do you see yourself?

GT: Five years down the road I see myself working in an athletic department at a Division I institution somewhere in events/facilities operations being the director or the assistant athletic director.

No comments:

Post a Comment