Saturday, June 20, 2015

A big comes aboard

The Train (6-foot-10 Ashtin Chastain) tweeted: "I would love to announce that I am Committing to San Jose State University on a full ride Basketball scholarship!"

The 6-foot-10, 260-pounder decomitted from Cal Baptist. He averaged 11.4 points and 9.4 rebounds this season for Norco High in southern California. It was back on January 20 that Chastain committed to CB.

From MidMajorHoopsReport on March 12, 2014:

MMHR ventured to Perris, CA to check out the Icemen’s 6th Annual College Evaluation Showcase at Citrus Hill High School. There was plenty of talent and fundamental skill work observed. But the cream of the crop was Ashtin Chastain (2015). The big fella, out of Norco HS, measures 6’10” 260 pounds. He has a well put together body. Ashtin is a true back to the basket post player. He posts up strong, has right and left hand baby hooks, and finishes around the basket. Ashtin runs the floor hard, keeps the ball up high, and sets good picks and rolls to the basket hard. He is not a jump out the gym athlete. Ashtin has to get in better condition. Once he does that, his basketball game will go to another level.

Q&A with Ashtin Chastain

MMHR: What is your height, weight, and position?

AC: I’m 6’10” 255 and I am a center.

MMHR: How was your season this year?

AC: I think I improved a lot from last year. I learned a lot about the game. I learned my role on the team is to get it in the post and play hard. I executed well in games and had my best scoring season, averaged a double double. Our team is still learning, but we’ll get there.

MMHR: Did the season live up to your expectations?

AC: It was a good season. We had a little more potential than we fulfilled. It was a good season overall.

MMHR: During your season, what team was your toughest matchup?

AC: Centennial HS. They have 6’8″ and a 6’9″ big, athletic, long guys that are strong and hard to post up. I think I did well. In the first game I had 10 points, but the next game I played good defense and executed better.

MMHR: Which college have attended your practices or games this year?

AC: None. No one has come up and approached me yet.
MMHR: Which colleges are recruiting you the hardest?

AC: Cal Lutheran and Minnesota Duluth.

MMHR: Any scholarship offers?

AC: None yet.

MMHR: What are you looking for in a college program?

AC: Good work ethic, team that wants to win, and a team that feeds the post.

MMHR: Any college visits planned for the off season?

AC: This spring break I’m planning to go to Kansas State. That is my dream school.

MMHR: Are you planning on attending any camps or showcases?

AC: Scoutfocus.com is holding a camp and a couple of things at the Players’ Edge.

MMHR: What are your strengths as a player?

AC: My strength is my strength. I am a big guy and I throw my weight around. Defensively, I’m an agitator and bang with the other post.

MMHR: What are your weaknesses that you would like to turn into strengths?

AC: My ball handling is definitely one of my weaknesses. I need to work on being strong with the ball when I am not dribbling and being able to get by players putting the ball on the floor.

MMHR: What AAU or travel team will you play with this spring and summer?

AC: This spring I will be playing with Icemen with Coach Malecki. This summer is undecided.

MMHR: How many days per week do you work on your game outside your normal team practices?

AC: Every single day. I am in volleyball right now. After practice, I go to LA Fitness and hit the weights and then I work on my shot and post moves.

MMHR: Do you have a Twitter?

AC: I do @chaistain951

MMHR: Who has had the biggest impact on your life when it comes to basketball, life, and school?

AC: I would say my mom. She has been pushing me my whole life. She recently had a brain aneurysm and a stroke in her coma. She is still working back and she is my motivator. She is why I play basketball. She is my rock. I do everything I do for her. I want to get a college scholarship to make her proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment