Friday, June 26, 2015

Meet Ashtin Chastain


With the San Jose State University basketball program evolving and Ashtin Chastain in the midst of his own process of development, a mutual kinship of sorts came to be and now the 6-foot-11, 245-pound Norco High (Riverside County) and Gamepoint Basketball program talent is a Spartan.

According to Chastain, the courtship was rather quick. "It actually happened pretty fast. Three, four weeks ago, I de-committed from a school and [SJSU Assistant] Coach [Mike] Lepore called. He wanted me to come up for a visit."

That trip took place last weekend and it proved to be an enjoyable one for Chastain. What clinched the decision for both parties was a face-to-face meeting. "[Head] Coach [Dave] Wojcik and I sat and down and talked and we really clicked. I liked his personality and charisma."

Now, he'll be up here by July 5 to begin summer school.

The Gamepoint Basketball organization is headed by Charlie Mercado Jr. who is also boys varsity coach at Vista High. Chastain played on the Gamepoint 17U AAU squad last season.

"We're an Adidas-sponsored travel team," Mercado said. "Ashtin came to us at 270 pounds and is now down to 245. That was last spring and summer and Ashtin gained exposure by playing with us in tournaments in Kansas City, Boston, Philadelphia and Phoenix."

"We created really strong bonds, it was a good time," Chastain recalled. Maybe more importantly, "I hadn't seen good competition but I saw what elite level players were like and it clicked for me. I now see the game n a different way."

At Norco High this season, Chastain was injured around mid-season and missed the remainder of the games. But during his participation, he averaged 11.4 rebounds and 9.4 rebounds. Norcal was 9-6 going into league but lost the remaining games on its schedule.

About his ailment, Chastain offered, "I broke my foot and had to do four months of rehab. It really made me value my time on the court and it became a blessing in disguise, making me work harder."

SJSU requested film on him last month with Lepore as the lead recruiter. Per Mercado Jr., "Ashtin is healthy now, he feels good and is glad to be part of the team."

Asked to describe what he does best on the court, Chastain offered, "I'm a back-to-the-basket player in the post who is a good passer and good on the boards."

But it wasn't always this way. "As a freshman, I was 6-foot-8 and 295, just pure girth. I was uncoordinated. I've lost a lot of weight and changed my effort level."

Chastain credits three people in particular for his achievement. "My Mom and Dad and my high school coach Jon Cabrera because he saw something in me I didn't see in myself and helped me realize it."

His major will be business.

About the talk of redshirting as a freshman, Chastain said, "we'll take this summer and do an evaluation. But if I prove myself..."

No comments:

Post a Comment